Saturday, July 11, 2009

Mad Hatter Topsy Turvy Cake

Hi out there...I almost hate to post these new pics because I like seeing the "Gifts from Above" twins cake when I go to the blog...it was pretty cute, in my opinion (is that okay for me to say?). Anyway, I am posting two new cakes that I made this weekend.

This post is for the first cake. The request was for a Mad Hatter topsy turvy cake...which I had never done before. For some reason, I am always up for a challenge, so I agreed. I had a picture to follow for the decorating, and I watched a YouTube tutorial on the construction of a topsy turvy cake. Seemed easy enough, so got started. Everything seemed to be going smoothly...I made the fondant decorations that needed to dry for a day or two. Then Thursday was baking day. It was a 2 tier cake, and in order to carve the shape for this type of cake, each tier had to be made of three layers. Needless to say, I did a lot of baking on Thursday! Friday was decorating day. This was also my first time to completely cover a cake in fondant, so that was a learning experience as well. As the cake sat, the top layer of the bottom tier started to push over some, causing the fondant to sag and bubble a little. I was disappointed b/c it didn't hold the tapered-sides shape and sloped top that I had carved. But in the end, the customers were very pleased. Overall, it was very cute and fun!

This is the cake compared to the picture I was copying...they wanted the middle two tiers of this 4 tier cake in the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment